Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bubur Kacang Hijau

One of my mother and hubby's favourite desert would be Bubur Kacang Hijau (Green Bean Pudding). This is a typically Malaysian desert and consists of green beans, coconut milk, brown sugar and sago seeds.

Staying true to my fast slow food pact with myself, my mom and I decided to make this yummy desert and I'd like to share with you how we made it. 


Here, I used 1 and a half cups of green beans.


Rinse the beans out a few times and add about 200 ml of water and let the beans boil. If you like your bubur (porridge) more watery, please feel free to add more water. 


In this recipe we've also added sago seeds. After about 20 minutes, add in about a quarter of a cup into the boiling mixture and continue boiling. Sago tends to thicken the mixture so don't add so much, but if you feel like you've added too much water, adding more sago with help you rectify that problem.


I must say that this brand of coconut milk was not the tastiest and coconut milk makes or breaks your bubur, so I'd recommend the small square packets of coconut milk so you can try out a few brands and conclude which one is your favourite.


Once your sago seeds become transparent, add in the brown sugar (gula melaka would be excellent!) and keep tasting till it's sweet enough for you. Add a little bit of coconut milk and a pinch of salt.

Continue to simmer for a little while longer and there you go. Bubur Kacang Hijau, just like how my hubby likes it...

No comments:

Post a Comment