Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Am Not The Silent Majority!

For the first time in my life I am proud to say that I am Malaysian. Reading about stories and experiences from the recent Bersih 2.0 rally held last Saturday, I am filled to the brim with a sense of patriotism and warmth wells in my heart.

I deeply take offense to being put into the "Silent" category. I am ashamed to say that I was not part of the brave group of individuals that was present on the 9th of July but it does not mean that I do not have a Bersih experience. 

By the time the sun set on the night before the event I felt edgy. I wanted to get home as soon as possible, so that I would feel safe. I think deep down inside, everyone did. The sun rose on the 9th and the day felt very, eerily quiet. There were very few cars on the road. On my way to buy some lunch, I noticed a line of cars on the opposite side of the road heading into the city, a police road block. Cars and motorcycles were pulled aside and questioned. I saw a white canopy in a residential area and ironically saw the Pegantin Baru regally clad in "Yellow". I smirked.

I stayed home that fateful day but my mother, hubby and I were silent until the rally was officially over. All our laptops were directed towards the centre of town. I was streaming the video live on my computer, while mummy and hubby were reading the latest updates.

I remember hearing a lot of commotion, I remember shuddering at the monstrous red FRU trucks, the people looked so tiny compared to them. I remember the white gas fumes hazing the atmosphere adding to the ethereal setting. I prayed in my heart that no one will get hurt.

Way into the wee hours of the morning, I read articles upon articles recollecting the event. I was amazed at the number of people that showed up. I was amazed at the courage all my brave brothers and sisters displayed by pushing through the current and managed to stand as one and be heard and known for our unity as a country.

I was disgusted to hear that our Government, the one we elected for, was not proud of us. Instead, they made us look and feel like uncontrollable animals by shooting tear gas canisters at us. They instructed the police force to be merciless and arrest everyone, including women and children. They were so focused on arresting people that not a single one of them brought a pair of scissors to let someone free. They were ordered to capture us. They were ordered by one of our own. One who we have elected to represent us.

This mere thought breaks my heart. My body slumps lower as I sigh, painfully. What leader of a country attacks his own people? A leader who surely doesn't love, respect or care about us. A leader,who wouldn't mind dirtying his hands with warm, human blood.

I found it macabre to read interviews and statements by our ministers, only to have it followed by a video proving otherwise. I found it exhilarating to hear of friends who were part of the courage crowd of 20,000. I was proud to call them my friends.

I am appalled that our leaders still say that the Bersih rally was not a success. Are they saying that they are going to rig the electoral process anyway? I find it hilarious that they are threatening us by saying that they can have a bigger turnout. Is this a competition? I find it unbelievable that they are mocking an individual who was hit in the face by a tear gas canister. Are you 12?

If you ask me, if they continue in this denial, I would not feel sorry for them when they are thrown out and cast aside to rot. If they don't care about us it doesn't really matter because I know that 20,000 people do. They took on the responsibility to walk for us. The 'silent' majority. But they have made it so cool that I don't want to be ever considered as 'silent' ever again. I want to make MY Malaysia mine. I want to take ownership of my motherland and say Yes, I am a Malaysian. I don't want people to wonder what type of Indian my grandfather was. I want to celebrate Hari Raya, Chinese New Year and Deepavali with all my loved ones. I want people to watch me dance because they think I am a good dancer, not because I am Chinese. I want my brothers and sisters to say, "That's my Malaysian sister."

I want to tell all my Bersih brothers and sisters that I promise to stand with you and walk towards our freedom. I will be there at Bersih 3.0 with a bottle of salt water in hand, ready to hold your hand and protect our home.   


Why didn't Ambiga hand memo to Agong when they met? Well, why didn't we just tweet the demands to the Agong? Why didn't Najib send a youtube of himself instead of calling for meetings? Why didn't Kate and William save all that money and just update their facebook status to "married"? Because there is symbolic power in our presence. Because the demands are not from Ambiga. They are from the people. We had to be there. - Pang Khee Teik

I think the people just needed to know that they were not alone. - Foo Chi Wei

I was a little hesitant that the rally would become politically skewed by the presence of the opposition party but I am so glad that it didn't. I am so proud that the crowd remained peaceful and get a feeling of love and compassion when I hear about how everyone helped everyone. - Reza Salleh

I don't want to be considered a part of the silent majority. I refuse to be silent from now on. - January Low

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly. I think what we saw, what we read and what we heard from people who were there, has shredded the silence of the 'silent majority'. I may be a minority on paper, but I'm part of a majority because this is my home too. This is our home.

    Time to get the yellow on should there ever be a Bersih 3.0

    ReplyDelete