Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm Home...



What was I thinking? You know what I was telling people before I went on this tour? I was telling people that this would be my last show. I kid you not...

I told everyone that this would be my last show and that after this, I'd stop dancing for awhile and start a family. Honestly, I believed it when I said it. I think it was my coping mechanism. I didn't think that I had it in me to dance anymore and my muse had left me. Being always taught that the muse was a sensitive thing and if you didn't take care of her, she'd leave you even before you thought of stopping your art. Just like a normal woman would do, before she got hurt.

Oh, but how things change. This tour, has been my most important milestone. I don't know how scary you knew it was, to take on a tour when you haven't danced in 2 years. I had shows booked in some of the most important theatres in Europe, I had an orchestra flown in from India and I was requested to perform for these shows. The pressure was enormous. But, I was fearless and I jumped into the deepest end of the pool.

Miraculously, I stayed afloat. In fact I did more than float, I went on to win the 100m sprint, butterfly stroke. Yes, I succeeded.

I moved people.

I had a couple tell me that I danced better than a dancer from the land of Odissi. Can you imagine that? Imagine, the best curry tasted in a land out of India. Success...

I had a couple with tears in their eyes tell me that with so much ugliness in the world today, how could they miss an opportunity to watch beauty? This couple lived in Paris and took a train to watch my performance, twice. One in Amsterdam and one in Utrecht.

How can one stop dancing when you affect people, let alone a person this way? How can you neglect a God given gift like this? How can you go on normally knowing that you have something bigger than life to share with the world?

I really don't know...

But I know now that opportunities come and go on the conveyor belt of life and sometimes, you let things pass you knowing that something greater is coming along the way and if you are ready and patient enough to wait for it, it springs forth and grabs you by the neck and you lose yourself in a fantasy and realise that life can be wonderful when you least expect it. 

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUD689OEYlM

    If you haven't yet watched it... Thought you might be interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the video Hdaran.

    ReplyDelete