Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cin-ful Buns

For some odd reason yesterday I felt like making cinnamon rolls, so I did.

Went to get the groceries from the hypermarket up the road. It was such a beautiful day.
Laid out all the ingredients on the table and got my baking groove on.
First I scalded some milk, vegetable oil and sugar. Just as it came to boil I switched off the fire and put it aside to cool.
In the mean time I melted some butter. What are cinnamon rolls without it? Unfortunately, I didn't look at the packet properly and bought salted butter. I used it anyway...
After the milk mixture cooled I added the yeast and then the flour and put it aside for an hour to prove. In that hour I went back to my mum's place to borrow her rolling pin.
After the proving, I added another cup of flour, some baking soda and powder and kneaded the dough slightly and formed a rectangle like so.
Then came the fun part, first you drench the dough with butter.
Then with a cup of sugar (I used brown).
Then with lots and lots of cinnamon powder.
Then you roll it all up and cut then into an inch or inch and a half pieces and dump them in a greased baking aluminum dish. I didn't take any photos of these because by this time my hands were oily and dirty.
Then you pop these babies into the oven at 190 degrees for about 15 minutes. In the meantime I whipped up some icing sugar, butter and vanilla essence for the frosting. Poured it all over the baked buns and Ta Da!
The recipe made about 7 trays of 5-6 buns so I'll be spending today delivering it to some lucky people.  
But be warned, it's a messy, messy job!

No comments:

Post a Comment