Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Constipation

I've always read that pregnancy and constipation go hand in hand but *knock on wood* so far I've been quite lucky. My bowel movements are definitely slower than what it used to be but I am very proud to say that I am far from constipated.

I've been getting the usual weekly updates from whattoexpect.com and the scariest one by far is that it isn't unusual to suffer from haemorrhoids! So if you are pregnant and suffering from constipation, here are some tips to help you out so you don't have to get your insides pushed back in! Do remember that I'm sharing this information solely based on my personal experience and if you are suffering really badly please consult a medical practitioner.



As much as a pain it is to keep running to the bathroom water is very, very important! It keeps your bloat at bay, helps prevent UTIs and easily helps with going to the loo. What also helps your tummy is any sort of yoghurt drink be it Yakult, Vitagen or any lassi. The probiotics help your tummy do its job better.

 
Oats and oat bran is also really good for your tummy. It also keeps your tummy full for longer and seems to help with your milk supply. I also add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and dried fruits to my oatmeal because it is a good source of iron.


As you all know fruits and vegetables are very important for you and the baby. It has all sorts of nutrients that help in your baby's development and also is packed with fibre to help you go. Don't eat fruits from a can (I only used that picture because I didn't have any papaya with me) because the fruits are soaked in syrup and don't have the same nutritional content like fresh fruits do. My pantang lady also told me that papaya really helps with your milk supply and keeps your body cool, which is awesome because we all know how hot and uncomfortable it is during pregnancy.

Hope this post helps ladies! Never in my life did I ever think that I would write a post about preventing constipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment