Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Fine Line Between Inspiration and Deflation

I just watched the brilliant James Cousins Dance Company and I have no words to express how spectacular the entire production was. It is very hard to catch a good dance show, not just in KL, but anywhere in the world, even more so when it comes to contemporary dance because it is so subjective and sometimes a little too narcissistic for my liking.

This show was a dance show. The dancers danced, every movement, every breath, every light and sound cue was deliberate. Deliberate is my favourite element when it comes to watching a production. No waste of time or space, every thing has been edited and snipped to create a crisp, unfaltering work of art.

As I usually do after every great performance, I slump back in my seat. Absorbing everything that I had just witnessed and feel completely exhilarated. But then almost immediately I feel as if the wind has been knocked out of me, like someone has stood behind me, kneeing me behind my knees and I buckle. I feel completely deflated.

Why? Because I feel like I will never be able to dance like that. I feel like I will never be able to create something like that. I feel like I will never be able to work with someone like that.

Do you find yourself feeling this way after a magical night? I don't know why I allow myself to feel such defeat. I can dance, I can dance a dance form that not many people can actually do.

I've always been this way. Every time I watch a ballet, I leave wishing I was a ballerina. Every time I watch a beautiful acoustic concert, I leave wishing I could sing. I need to start being more grateful.

I have been invited to perform a solo piece during this year's Odissi International in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, the land of Odissi, and it will be the first time I will dance alone and also the first time since the cubs were born.

I will take what I have experienced this afternoon and make something positive out of it. After all, a good performer makes your forget time and place and takes you along on their journey with them. I hope I will be able to do that this December.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jan for the kind comments. Indeed, I agree that there's that fine line - but I certainly think too, that it's up to ourselves to see which side we want to swing towards. Sure, one can never dance like those people on stage because you are not them! You are you! And if the dancers saw you dance on stage, they would feel the same way.

    I hope you'll continue doing what you do, because I feel you bring joy to people when you are on stage. Imagine those of us who aren't dancers lah. Hehe.

    My intention of bringing JCC to audiences in Malaysia is to inspire. I'd be heartbroken if it didn't achieve what it set out to do.

    =)

    Toi toi toi!
    Grey

    ReplyDelete