Thursday, October 30, 2014

And the dancing bells come back on...

I am completely ecstatic to be dancing again. You've probably seen my short 15s Instagram videos and some photos here and there and have been wondering what is exactly going on. To be honest, even I don't know what is happening and where all this is going, but I have made a pact to myself to say 'yes' to everything.

But I know how this all started and it was because of my husband. We were driving to lunch one day and suddenly he said that the kids were going to be a year old soon and that I could start being slightly selfish and start doing things for myself again. I didn't really understand what he was talking about so I asked him and he said I think you need to start dancing again. I was shocked. But I listened and the wheels in my head started turning. He suggested that I convert the basement (which is his mancave) into my own personal studio, put up mirrors and just start.

So.I.did. (First Yes)

Of all the years that we have known each other we have had a million business ideas and none of them have followed through. I would get slightly more excited at some ideas more than others but nothing has ever come of it. So when the mirror guy actually came to install 7 foot high mirrors in my husband's mancave he started to worry. "Where am I going to watch football now?" he asked. "This was your idea in the first place, I'm just be an obedient wife," I replied.

I commissioned an entire new repertoire and spent 2 weeks learning it in my new studio. I had ideas, so many ideas, of what I could do in my own personal space. So I called a dear friend of mine, Rathi, and asked her if we could meet fortnightly to do some contemporary classes and learn some of her old repertory works. It so happened that she had been invited to perform for a local dance festival and we decided to do something together. (Second Yes)

During August and September, important months for our country, I had over 7 interviews over the span of two months, which is A LOT for a stay at home mom who hasn't really done anything substantial in a couple of years. I was grateful and so humbled by the fact that people still thought of me and valued my opinions. (7 more Yeses)

Early September Rathi and I started working on a piece, which we decided to call 'rehab' and it has been an interesting experience. We meet up twice a week between 3pm to 5pm during the kids' nap and it has not always been easy. The kids' afternoon naps are not always a surefire and sometimes they tend to wake up earlier than expected. So we've tried a million things. Put the kids in a play pen in the basement, while they watch us dance. Dance in the living room while the kids stayed in their play pen. We've even let the kids crawl around while we rehearsed, which was not the best idea because they kept crawling into our space and I almost stomped on one of them!

But, I have never been happier. 'rehab' premieres on Nov 13th at ASWARA at 5pm and we couldn't be more excited. It seems like the stars are aligned and the time is right for my dancing bells to come back on..note to self, always say yes.



No comments:

Post a Comment