Friday, October 31, 2014

10 Most Annoying Things People Ask or Say About Twins

Published on makchic.com Jan 2014
Okay, some of the things said here may be perfectly normal to say but as a mother of twins you are asked this every single time a human being walks past and it can get to you sometimes. But so far I am proud to say that I have been the perfectly well behaved Asian girl and have just smiled and nodded accordingly.
Here is my list of the top 10 most annoying things people have said or asked me since I’ve given birth to my babies:
1. Statement: Are they twins?This is annoying when there’s obviously two little babies of the same size in the stroller. What’s more annoying is that I’m asked this not once but every 100m anywhere we go.
2. Statement: Are they boy and girl? Which one is the girl?I’ve deliberately put my baby girl in the dress. Take a wild guess!
3. Statement: Wow! Twins? You’re sooo lucky!Yes, I love my twins more than anything in the world but it’s also hard work multiplied by two. My Instagram pictures may look like a party on a rainbow but there’s no stress in the world compared to two babies throwing a tantrum at the same time. Plus this is my first time being a mum.
4. Statement: Which one is the naughty one?To be brutally honest, I hate the term ‘naughty’ plus my babies are barely five months old. I think babies are just being babies till the age of two perhaps? They are perfect to me and as mothers, you’d think that your little monster is perfect too? So let’s not name who’s who, yes?
5. Statement: So, which one is your favourite?I love my babies equally. I cannot for the life of me think I love one more than the other. I would NEVER ask another mother of more than one child to pick their favourite.
6. Statement: My second cousin twice removed had twins.Yes, the ever so famous “I knew someone who had twins” statement. As much as we’d love to hear your story of someone you know who had twins, we have little time to run our errands. Twins mean that we’re on somewhat of a strict schedule system and our time windows aren’t very wide. If you’re a complete stranger, please bear with us and realise that we’re in fact running somewhere else trying to complete our errands for the day.
7. Statement: Oh, maybe you’ll have another set of twins during your next pregnancy!This is usually followed by a severely uncomfortable laughter from me because I’m still struggling with my babies and yet, people think it’s comfortable to joke about something like that! Again, I love my babies to bits but I’m still a very, very new mother who’s still working very, very hard to cope with my babies.
8. Statement: Yes, I know how you feel. My kids are less than two years’ apart.It means you’ve had two babies less than two years apart. Having twins mean that you’ve had a pregnancy with two babies, delivered two babies and are raising two babies the second they came out to the world. Don’t diss a mum who has twins because we did have two babies at the same time!
9. Statement: Do they cry at the same time?Of course they cry at the same time. Haven’t you been in a room where one baby starts crying and suddenly the other babies start crying too?
10. Statement: Why is this one fairer than the other one?Yes, you gasp but people actually ask me this question. Till this day I don’t know the reply to this one.
Having said this, I completely understand why people have so many questions to parents of twins. I’m all ears for them. But sometimes we’re stressed because the babies are cranky and grumpy, and we’re sleep-deprived. Ask us in a couple of years, when the babies are older, and I’m sure we’d love to sit down and tell you every single detail about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment