Friday, October 31, 2014

Shopping For Newborn Twins: 8 Smart Tips

Published on makchic.com Jan 2014
If I got a Ringgit each time someone asked if I had two of everything, I’d have bought something nice for myself with all that money. I guess with twins it’s very easy to think that you need two of everything. However, there are  non-negotiable items, like car seats, and items that can be shared, such as a bathtub.
We all know how expensive it is to have a kid these days. When we discovered that we were going to have two babies, my husband turned very pale and didn’t speak the entire car ride home because he was calculating some very large numbers in his head. So, I compiled a super baby checklist and started my research. What would we need two of? What can we get the most mileage from? What were the best baby items in the market?
I asked my mummy friends what their favourite baby-related purchases were. I found their answers very helpful because the choices out there are infinite and the last thing you want is to be stuck with six swaddle cloths that do no good for your babies.
Strollers
The best way to choose the kind of stroller you need is to base it on your lifestyle. The three most important things to us was convenience (easy to assemble/disassemble); mobility (easy to maneuver); and size (able to fit most lifts).
Car Seats
Initially I thought of getting infant car seats because everyone had one, but then I learned that they could only be used up to six months. What was I going to do with these carriers, which are neither light nor cheap, when my babies outgrew them?
I then came across convertible car seats that can be used from birth right up to the age of five. We’ve been taking the babies out a lot and they seem perfectly comfortable in these seats.
Baby Clothes
I’ve not had to buy even a single onesie because every visitor to the house has brought at least one piece of clothing. I’ve managed to save money on baby clothes for an entire year.
Cots
Just buy two cots from the get go. You can use one in the beginning but once your babies arrive, you won’t have TIME to buy another cot. The cots we bought can be converted into a toddler bed so our babies can use it for almost three to four years.
Breastpumps
Never in my life did I ever imagine breast pumps to be so incredibly expensive! But it’s worth every cent. If not for the Medela Freestyle, my breastfeeding journey would have ended a long time ago.
Feeding Bottles
I purchased two Tommee Tippee starter sets, which has everything for first time parents. It’s been five months down the line and one kit is still in its box. I only needed two extra 8oz bottles in addition to the set.
Disposable DiapersI was trying to figure out how many disposable diapers I’d need to start off with. So I asked a friend of mine roughly how many times her baby pooped and I multiplied that number by 60 (30 days and two babies). I got about 10 packets, which was a good estimate because I didn’t waste any. I was also very fortunate to get some unused newborn diapers from friends.
Keep in mind that twin babies come out smaller than singleton babies so look for newborn-sized diapers. Please don’t believe salespeople who tell you that their size ‘S’ is small enough because it’s not. I’ve also been told that Huggies’ cut is smaller, which fit smaller babies better, but be prepared for lots of leaky diapers. So what I did was wait for a baby expo and bought 10 ‘NB’ and 10 ‘S’ packets of diapers.
Wet WipesWhen you become a mum, you’ll need a lifetime supply of wet wipes to clean up everything. I got every guest to bring me a packet of wet wipes for my baby shower.
I don’t use the wipes on my babies’ bottoms because their skin is quite sensitive so I just run them under the sink (my sink doesn’t even have hot water, but my babies got used to the cold water soon enough) but I use the wipes for everything else.
My advise to you would be to Google everything. Go to as many shops as you can and compare prices because shopping for twins isn’t cheap. Every Ringgit that you save here and there can be used to buy something else. I personally didn’t find anything at the local baby expos except that disposable diapers were cheap. Also, remember that you might have a baby shower so save all the fun things to buy for your guests because everyone loves an excuse to shop for babies!
Finally, here are my top 10 best buys:
Jan Twins Shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment