Monday, November 24, 2014

The E Word

You know what is easy? Scrolling down your newsfeed or instaposts and judging and bitching about people. Bad mouthing someone because by that one photograph you think she's got it all together. One photograph, one millisecond, one moment. Sounds ridiculous right? You base her entire life on that one photograph. You fail to realise that she chose that photo for a reason. So that she can also feel that her entire life is in order or because she is so proud of herself for finally getting her life back in order.

It's easy, to sit, scroll and judge and hate. I used to do it. I used to burn with envy when I saw people doing what I wanted to do. I could do that, I always thought to myself. I could sooo do that. But if I just sat and scrolled and judged and hated I would never end up doing anything.

So I got off my butt and started doing. Everytime I found myself free I would fill up the time with doing something constructive. I would write, dance, listen to music, just to feel like I spent time with myself doing something creative.

Signing up for bodytone sessions also changed my life. Everytime I hear someone say that I would roll my eyes but it is true. Ok, the first few sessions were so so but then when I started seeing results and watching the numbers on the scale go down I knew I was doing something right. Also because the sessions are so incredibly expensive I made sure that I changed my diet just so that my sessions did not go to waste. 3 months in and I am very happy with the results. My energy levels are up, my stamina is awesome and I can dance longer.

Yet, people don't see this. They look at photos, judge and hate. They think that I am living the perfect life, in the perfect house with a perfect family. My life is perfect to me because I work hard towards it. Every decision I have made consciously and I have stuck to it. When I was pregnant, I told myself that I did not want live-in help, my husband thought that I was crazy and that I would cave in once the babies arrived but it's been 15 months and both of us feel that it has been the best decision yet.

My parents do not live in Kuala Lumpur and my in-laws live quite far away, which means I do not have babysitters at my beck and call. So I wake up at 6am to have breakfast, feed and change the kids when they wake up and drive to my bodytone sessions at 8am so I can workout before hubby goes to work. If hubby isn't around then I try to bring the kids with me.

Over thinking situations have not helped me in the least so I have stopped thinking about things all together. Instead of wallowing in self pity I pack the kids in the car and head out, alone. We have lunch, walk around a bit and come home. I do not allow myself to feel helpless. All of our mums did it, why can't we?

The main reason why I didn't want live-in help is because I did not want to become dependent on someone who could just walk out of our lives as suddenly as she walked into it. Yes, in the beginning I would still do everything but sooner or later I would relinquish control and probably end up getting lazier and lazier and without warning she would get up and leave and I would be left helpless. No, no, I would not want something like that to happen to me.

Also, I am blessed to be able to stay at home and take care of the children. Children that I have dreamed of having for many, many years. Whenever you hear stories of regret you always hear people say that they wished they spent more time with their children. You also always hear that children grow up so fast.

So I've stopped scrolling, ok ok I still scroll, but I don't judge, I don't hate, I don't envy. I try to love more, focus on me more and automatically I become happier. I feel better. I don't let that stupid green monster eat me up. I don't allow negative energy to boomerang back to me. I don't envy.

Hating is easy. Jealousy is easy. But being genuinely, sincerely happy for someone is not. You need to consciously open up your heart, throw caution to the wind and just throw your arms wide open to hug that person. Send them good vibes, healing vibes. We all need it. We all need to be happier for one another, our friends, even our enemies. We need to see more good in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jan for the great insight of 'life'...very inspiring indeed.. Sometimes we just need to hear it from someone to get things changed. Keep the positive vibes coming and all the best for your journey in 2016

    ReplyDelete